Which permit application should I use for my project?

That all depends on what you propose to do and how close you are to a wetland. A Request for Determination of Applicability (RFD or RDA) is used for small projects where the applicant requests that the Commission determine if the Wetlands Protection Act/Rockport Wetlands By-law is applicable to the area and/or the activity proposed.

Simple projects with proper protective measures (siltation barriers) will have little if any impact on a wetland resource area and are typically taken care of using a RDA.

A Notice of Intent (NOI) is used for larger projects (septic system repairs, house construction, activities within wetlands, etc.) where the likelihood of impacting the wetland is greater. An NOI is more detailed than an RDA and involves one or more public hearings.

An Abbreviated Notice of Resource Delineation (ANRAD) is used to confirm a wetland boundary which, in turn, establishes the Commission's jurisdiction.

Still not sure which application to use? Contact the Conservation Office:

Show All Answers

1. Where can I purchase sediment control products?
2. What is the procedure for obtaining approval from the Conservation Commission? My project may be in an area regulated by the commission jurisdiction.
3. What information is needed to present a project? If approved by the Conservation Commission, are other approvals needed?
4. What are the laws and rules that regulate wetlands in Rockport?
5. How do I find out if my property is in a location that has activities regulated by the Rockport Conservation Commission?
6. Can I clean out my stream?
7. Do I need to file for permission to do landscaping?
8. How long does it take to begin a project once my application has been submitted?
9. Do I need to hire an engineer or wetland scientist?
10. What do I do with the department of environmental protection file number?
11. What does abutters' notification mean?
12. What happens if I do not file an application?
13. Which permit application should I use for my project?
14. Upon submitting my application, how long does it take to be put on the agenda?
15. Which areas are protected wetlands?
16. Why can’t I just fill in the little swamp in the backyard?
17. Why do I have to file with the Conservation Commission?
18. Why do we bother protecting wetlands anyway?
19. Can the Conservation Commission give me advice on what I can and cannot do on my property?