What information is needed to present a project? If approved by the Conservation Commission, are other approvals needed?

The information needed for our review is also dependent on the project and its location. The Massachusetts Wetland Protection Act (WPA) and the town Wetland Bylaw and Regulations (WBR) list the information needed for applying for a Request For Determination (RFD) or Notice of Intent (NOI). Larger projects and projects more likely to directly affect a resource area could require a professional's involvement. Small projects and ones not near the resource area may only require a sketch and a written work description. The information must accurately portray the current conditions and the work you propose sufficiently to serve as a record of what you are requesting. If you contact the Conservation Agent, she will work with you so that you understand the information your project will require.

All decisions by the Conservation Commission are only in relation to our Department's review of the proposed work and requirements of the WPA and WBR. It is the property owner's responsibility to get all other approvals and permissions as needed before commencing any work.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I purchase sediment control products?
2. What is the procedure for obtaining approval from the Conservation Commission? My project may be in an area regulated by the commission jurisdiction.
3. What information is needed to present a project? If approved by the Conservation Commission, are other approvals needed?
4. What are the laws and rules that regulate wetlands in Rockport?
5. How do I find out if my property is in a location that has activities regulated by the Rockport Conservation Commission?
6. Can I clean out my stream?
7. Do I need to file for permission to do landscaping?
8. How long does it take to begin a project once my application has been submitted?
9. Do I need to hire an engineer or wetland scientist?
10. What do I do with the department of environmental protection file number?
11. What does abutters' notification mean?
12. What happens if I do not file an application?
13. Which permit application should I use for my project?
14. Upon submitting my application, how long does it take to be put on the agenda?
15. Which areas are protected wetlands?
16. Why can’t I just fill in the little swamp in the backyard?
17. Why do I have to file with the Conservation Commission?
18. Why do we bother protecting wetlands anyway?
19. Can the Conservation Commission give me advice on what I can and cannot do on my property?