The town of Rockport partnered with Cemify to preserve cemetery records of those interred. We've created a search engine to cover our records making it easy for the public to find information. The following link contains records, maps and other important data. To ensure information remains accessible and well preserved.
The Cemetery Division is responsible for the mowing, cleaning, and general upkeep of Town cemeteries, as well as interments.
Please note: Dogs are not allowed in Rockport's Cemeteries, except for service dogs.
Locust Grove Cemetery is located in Gloucester, MA, in the Lanesville area on Langsford and Washington Streets. According to the book "History of the Town of Rockport" by Lemuel Gott, M.D, et al, published in 1888 Locust Grove started out as a small, private cemetery. Later, there was "...a necessity for a public burial ground to accommodate the North Village..." (Pigeon Cove). The Town began purchasing the adjoining land, first from Woodbury and Parsons, and later from the heirs of Langsford. Improvements were added including leveled roads, laid-out lots, construction of a tomb, and fencing. The cemetery remains in use to this day.
Many family members of Rockport's earliest settlers are buried in this historic cemetery, including the Tarrs, Pools, and Hales. Also buried at Old First Parish is Hannah Jumper, a leader of the Rockport Temperance movement in 1856.